Originally a barn, the Town Hall, a black and white building was erected in 1652 and donated by a Lady Bertie from the town of Much Wenlock. It stands majestically in Bridgnorth High Street.
It was restored in 1888 to commemorate Queen Victoria Jubilee with new stained glass windows in the small room off the Council Chamber each depicting Members Of Parliament and Borough Officials, as well as featuring the town’s coat of arms – ‘Fidelitas Urbis Salus Regis’ – referring to Bridgnorth’s loyalty to the crown during the Civil War.
A carpet made for the jubilee at the Southwell Carpet Factory was originally in the Council Chamber but now hangs on display in the Town Hall.
The Town Hall is open to the public and is full of historical information and refreshments are available.