Bridgnorth has a history of Breweries stemming back to the Eaves Brewery (aka Castle Brewery) the first recorded brewery in 1821 renowned at the time for its Cave Beer.
Today the Hop & Stagger Brewery at The White Lion still brew cask ales.
The Castle Brewery ( aka Eaves)
The first known Bridgnorth brewery was the Castle Brewery (also recorded as Eaves Brewery) and is recorded by a traveller in 1658 and by Rev. Cornes of St. Leonard in 1726. An entry in“A History of Bridgnorth from 1821” stated:
“On the South side of the passage (alluding to the Stoneway Steps) there is a large cave in the rock, remarkable for being the repository of that excellent beer formerly sold and so much esteemed in London, by the name of Cave Beer. At the entrance of the cave stood a lion, rampant carved in stone, and within there was a large vessel or tun, bestrided by a small Bacchus, and contained about five hogsheads, or three hundred and twenty gallons.”
Eaves Cave Beer, a strong dark ale, became extremely popular and was exported as far as France and brought much business and trade to Bridgnorth.
When the brewery ceased the caves became 13 or 14 dwellings for the poor.