There has probably been a Bridgnorth Bridge over the Severn as early as Ethelfledas time, the lady of Mercia and King Alfred’s daughter.
Any bridge in existence in 1101 would have been destroyed to hinder the Kings movements.
A bridge was recorded in 1272 when a man was forced to defend himself against a Broseley neighbour and was killed on Bridgnorth Bridge.
A 1313 map shows the bridge to be built of stone. Tolls for the repair of the bridge were brought into force in 1331 (A method of covering the repair cost of the bridge brought into effect many times over the years.)
On the East side of the bridge on the second pier was a protective gatehouse, the gatehouse was removed in 1801 by which time it was recorded as having been used as prison.
Many houses were built on the bridge including a toll collectors cottage on the East side, that was removed in 1912.
On the south side of the bridge was the chapel of St Syth which was built between 1102 and 1108. The chapel came to an end with the dissolution of the friars in 1538. The chapel probably had many other uses after the dissolution, it is known to have been a meeting place for the baptists in 1699.
After much damage to the bridge by floods and alike over the years the bridge was rebuilt and repaired in 1812 by Thomas Simpson to the design and specification of Thomas Telford.
Most of the buildings on the bridge were completely removed when the bridge was widened in 1823- 1824. In 1868 the bridge clock was illuminated and replaced with the current clock in1876.