The Bridgnorth Poor Law Union formally came into being on 31st May 1836 and a new Workhouse was built on Innage Lane.
Initially, the union continued to make use of old workhouses in the Bridgnorth parishes of St Leonard’s and St Mary Magdalen. The Poor Law Commissioners authorized an expenditure of £600 on the alteration and enlargement of existing premises. Pigot’s 1842 directory lists a workhouse at Barnet Hill (Now Bernards Hill), Low Town, with William and Mary Wall as governor and matron. Other records also mention a workhouse at Northgate.
In 1848, the union erected the new workhouse on Innage Lane at the north side of the Bridgnorth.
The main building at the south of the site had a U-shaped layout. Administrative offices and a Guardians’ board would have been located at the centre with separate male and female inmates’ accommodation to each side. A dining-hall would probably have been placed at the centre rear. Later additions at the north of the main building included an infectious block in 1875, an infirmary, and a casual ward at the east of the site.
In 1994 the building was converted into flats and is now called Andrew Evans House.
An extract from A Grim Almanac of the Workhouse by Peter Higginbotham
Bridgnorth Workhouse, 27th February 1894
William Davies, an inmate of the Bridgnorth workhouse, was today sentenced to three years’ penal servitude for a murderous assault on Robert Mantel, another inmate, aged seventy-five years. The two had met in the workhouse garden on New Year’s Day, when Mantel asked Davies why he had wheeled a barrow against him. Davies responded by striking Mantel on the head several times with a stone-breaking hammer and inflicting serious wounds.