The Southwell Carpet Factory was built around the 1824 by Thomas Martin Southwell on the site of the old Franciscan Friary.
By 1860 the factory had swallowed up the last remaining friary buildings and it employed 600 people.
In 1897 it presented a carpet to Queen Victoria (1837-1901) to commemorate her golden jubilee and at the end of the First World War (1914-1918) they also presented a victory carpet to the palace.
It operated as a family business until 1943 when it was brought by another old company in Kidderminster, the Carpet Manufacturing Company (CMC Ltd).
In 1969 CMC Ltd became Carpets International Ltd and they thrived at first until cheaper tufted carpets and foreign imports lowered their profit margins.
The 110 ft high Carpet Factory chimney known as “The Shed” was taken down on 16th March 1978.
In the 1980’s Bridgnorth’s last factory was closed down. It was demolished in May 1989 and replaced by new houses.
A Southwell Carpet from the Council Chamber now hangs in Bridgnorth Town Hall.