Articles » History

Bridgnorth Union Workhouse

The Bridgnorth Poor Law Union formally came into being on 31st May 1836 and a new Workhouse was built on Innage Lane. Initially, the union continued to make use of old workhouses in the Bridgnorth parishes of St Leonard’s and St Mary Magdalen. The Poor Law Commissioners authorized an expenditure of £600 on the alteration and enlargement of existing premises. Pigot’s 1842 directory lists a workhouse at Barnet Hill (Now Bernards Hill), Low Town, with William and Mary Wall as governor and matron. Other records also mention a workhouse at Northgate. […]

The Hermitage Caves

The Bridgnorth Hermitage Caves are located on the brow over looking Low Town south of the Hermitage (Wolverhampton Road) and were dwellings of the homeless poor. The Caves were of Saxon origin. The caves first inhabitant was Ethelward or Aethelard (Grandson of King Alfred) who dwelled here in seclusion as a hermit. The Saxon name for the caves was Athelardetson. […]

Load More Posts